Search This Blog

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Taking inventory

My closet is obnoxious. Not in and of itself, you understand; it is actually quite inoffensive and spacious. It is my favorite room in the house, actually; I take my coffee in it.

However, through no fault of the closet's, it is the most ridiculously organized space in my house. (You will have to humor me with this one because I love talking (and typing, I suppose) about organization, clothes and my closet. Combine all three and this might get terribly wordy.)

To start, pants, skirts, dresses, blouses, shoes, hats and handbags each has a designated space. I'm sure you'll agree that this is essential and requires no defense.

Beyond that, each space is organized by color. My clothes (and shoes and hats and bags) follow the precepts of the color wheel. First white, followed by grey, black and brown. Then red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet. (Again I argue that this level of organization is necessary if one is hopeless when it comes to putting together fashionable, well-structured outfits.)

Beyond that is the length of the sleeve, leg, heel or hem. (I really haven't quite touched "obnoxious" yet as weather demands certain allowances when it comes to clothing. If grey ankle-length trousers are on the left side of the grey section, I don't have to spend any time searching for cooler pants on a steamy day.)

Then, as pertains to the blouses and dresses, the neckline or collar followed by the number of buttons on the placket. On the odd chance that I have two items that may vie for the same spot(such as two yellow, short-sleeve, scoop-neck t-shirts), the printed will follow the solid.

In this manner, literally every single thing in my closet has a unique place. As I am so passionate about my closet and about organization, I thought I might cross the line into obnoxious territory by cataloging my closet:

The obnoxious closet /
by Autumn.
Omaha, Neb: California Closets, 2006.
Description: 81 x 57 in. : carpeted.
Summary: Irritating, through no fault of its own. Light blue with cream trim.
Contents: Shoe shelves -- Handbag ledge -- Sweater dividers -- Three hanging rods --Vanity with mirror.

Copy/Holding Information
Location: bed room
Collection: American classic
Status: circulating
Call No.: 1940s

Alternate titles
Boudoir
Dressing room
Haven
Wardrobe

Subjects
Obsessions
Trends
Vintage
Retro

No comments:

Post a Comment